4.20.2007

News junkie

Over the last few months, I've turned into a hard-core news addict. Truth be told, it has been a good thing for me, for the most part. I learn so much by reading the New York Times every morning, and throughout the day I learn even more as I keep up with what's going on in the world through other newspapers and aggregates online.

Lately, however, the goings-on in our country have become increasingly distressing, and my compulsion to read the news is only leading to anger and frustration.

Why are there so many Congressional investigations of the White House? Why is our President allowed to remain in power even after he has been found, repeatedly, to lack basic ethics and integrity, not to mention a rudimentary grasp of logical thought? Why are his corrupt associates still leading our bureaucracy? Why are they allowed to defy the rule of law, defile the Constitution, and usurp the rights of the citizens they supposedly "lead?"

Why are we "restoring peace" to Iraq yet ignoring the turmoil in Darfur, Zimbabwe, and the Ukraine? Or, worse yet, in Louisiana and Mississippi?

Why is it now illegal for women to make their own decisions about their health and the health of their families? This is micromanagement of the worst kind, and moreover, it imposes the narrow mindset of a few incompetent old men on women and families who never voted for this government in the first place.

The so-called leadership of this country is corrupt, incompetent, narrow-minded, and increasingly unbearable.

I feel so frustrated. I feel angry and confused. I feel powerless.

How can we change a country that doesn't care about our opinions or our hopes for the future? I believe there was a time when many of us felt proud to be Americans. The current government has shamelessly, insolently chipped away at my patriotism, and I'm not sure the damage can ever be undone.

4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM , Blogger Bryan Foster said...

ahh, nice rant.

This administration certainly has undermined my trust...oh wait, that was gone long ago...well, the administration just added to my distrust...that's a more accurate statement.

What do you mean about a woman's ability to make health decisions? I am assuming this is about abortion?

Tough one...is it a woman's right or not? Of course this depends on what one thinks about when life begins and such...so obviously...there are many differing beliefs about that one from your own. So that discussion is full of different perspectives, beliefs, and priorities...the same can be said for most moves the administration has made. They had done some things that I abhor but they have done some things I support as well (less and less each day mind you).

I always try to remember that my way of doing things isn’t the only way of doing things and that people have a right to do things differently…including governments…

Now, they obviously get into trouble when they mess with people’s rights and such but even then, people have different ideas about what’s acceptable and what’s not…basically, it’s a nightmare of an argument.

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Juliet said...

I certainly agree that everyone has a different opinion about how things should be done, especially when it comes to our politics.

However, there are several tenets that are, ostensibly, universally agreed-upon. I'm talking about the Constitution here, and it sets down guidelines for Presidential authority, expectations of honesty and integrity in government, and certain freedoms that are guaranteed to all people.

All ideology or opinion aside, I think it is impossible to spin or deny the unlawful actions committed by the Bush administration: improperly using e-mail accounts and then deleting the evidence; improperly dismissing federal prosecutors and then denying it (only to have their denials publicly refuted); lying to Congress about weapons of mass destruction and the connections of the 9/11 terrorists; revealing the name of an CIA agent, thus destroying decades of crucial intelligence work; granting no-bid contracts in Iraq to underqualified political appointees; and the list goes on. To put it simply, this administration has insulted our rights and made a mockery of the Constitution.

I completely agree that everyone is allowed their own opinion in regard to politics; in regard to government, however, I think the Bush administration has provided incontrovertible FACTS of its ineptitude and felonious corruption.

And yes, when I referred to a woman's ability to make health decisions, I was talking about the Bush cronies in the Supreme Court shooting down an essential abortion case. I am wholeheartedly pro-choice, and that is a matter of opinion, no doubt. I feel I should clarify my feelings, though--I would never ever get an abortion myself, for many personal reasons unrelated to politics. That said, I understand that other women do not necessarily share my beliefs on this matter, and if they see the need for an abortion, for any reason whatsoever, who am I to tell them they cannot? Far be it from me to tell other women how to manage their health and their families, and I think it is shameful that the government presumes they have the authority to do so.

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger Anthony said...

generally, i'm of the "okay, fine...give women a few more rights" camp.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Bryan Foster said...

great discussion Julie...

Interestingly, I am decidedly pro-life because I do not believe decisions to abort unborn children have anything to do with "women's health." For me, it would be like allowing another person besides myself, make decisions about my life for me. (a mother deciding to abort an unborn child).

I think this is the one of the better arguments against abortion...whose rights are more important? The mother's? Or the child's? Theoretically, they are equal (if you believe that a fetus is more than just a lump of tissue).

It's one of those overly charged debates that will clearly, never go one way or the other. As for the partial-birth abortion or the pro-choice's version of it, D&E, is just a gruesome procedure in my view...partially delivering a baby and then killing it...yikes...what's the purpose?

Lastly, and I'm quite certain this will be difficult for people to hear and I may lose the respect of some, I believe that abortion is an act of selfishness...yikes, I know...it sounds bad but after thinking about it...the act benefits only the mother...it is centered around the mother, no one else...so maybe a better term would be self-centered. So there is my philosophical disagreement with abortion. I can't be for it because I do not see reasons for having one that are not about the mother...even in rape and incest, etc. cases, personally, I believe God has a purpose for every person and that includes the children of those horrible events. My Christian understanding of God leads me to believe that God allows us to be involved in the divine plan to a large degree so I deeply believe that all children, unborn or born, are our divine responsibility and a large part of our purpose in this life...

so yeah, that's my two cents...

Otherwise, yes, the administration has done many, many things wrong, leading to many deaths and other horrible things. Sadly, they will probably never be held fully accountable by us at least, but I certainly believe that the Creator will hold them accountable, and fully accountable at that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home