Dystopian novels
Hi, everybody!So lately I've been on a dystopian-novel kick. I am not really into science-fiction, but I've discovered that dystopian novels help me process contemporary reality, and give me new ways to think about politics. And hey, let's be honest: the world we live in today is not a far cry from the dystopias of Atwood, Orwell, Huxley, and McCarthy. (If you disagree with me, you're obviously not reading the news.)
Back to the novels. My favorite dystopian novel is, hands-down, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I love the pacing, the agonizing slowness of this novel, for one thing. As a reader, you really feel the depression and boredom endured by the main characters. Furthermore, for all its commentary on society and politics, you can never pin down the author's opinion: just as the politics of reality are infinitely complex, the politics in The Handmaid's Tale are shaded with gray areas. It is clear from her attacks on conservatism and religious fanaticism that Atwood places herself on the left side of the political fence, but it is impossible to tell where she stands in regard to other issues such as feminism, marriage, and economic policy. Atwood also sheds necessary light on subversive political tactics like social conditioning, media manipulation, and false-flagging. There are several themes in this novel that strongly resonate in our contemporary reality, and reading it will help awaken your mind to the dangerous possibilities of society's present course. Not too much violence, mainly suggestion. Sexual, but not sexy, situations. Read this right now.
I've also recently read 1984 by George Orwell. Wow, what a fantastic book. For some reason I did not read this in high school like the rest of you, and I'm very sorry I am only just now discovering this great novel. The plot of 1984 was so engrossing that I had to force myself to put it down so I could cook dinner, or go to work. This book has a bit more violence and much less poetry than The Handmaid's Tale, but it is nonetheless very provocative. I loved Orwell's predictions for technology, especially in the case of governments' monitoring of their own citizens--something that is definitely happening at this very moment. Orwell also points out the perilous efficacy of false-flagging (hello, Iraq?). This is a chilling novel, all the way through, but not quite as chilling as...
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Some people may not call this a dystopian novel--perhaps apocalyptic is a better term--but I don't want to squabble. This novel certainly describes a world that is completely the opposite of Utopia, so I'm going to include it on this list. To be honest with you all, this book is so horrifying that I made a rule for myself: no reading The Road before bed. A few dozen pages later, I put it down and have not yet worked up the courage to finish reading it. The strange thing is, this book has almost no physical violence, from what I've read so far. Just lumbering, hovering, ever-present doom and the desperate struggle to survive in a world that is literally on fire. And, nearly as bad as the lumbering, hovering, ever-present doom are the heart-wrenching descriptions of a father's love for his young son. It's a beautiful and haunting novel, but it's not for the faint of heart (like me).
Animal Farm, also by George Orwell, is a shorter, microcosmic Disney-fied version of 1984. Animals are the main characters in this dystopia, and they can walk on two legs, talk, and basically function as though they have higher brain functions and opposable thumbs. The political commentary of Animal Farm is thinly veiled and not especially thought-provoking. I did, however, enjoy the final paragraphs of this novel.
I did read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley in high school, and I remembered liking it very much at the time. Lately, when I became bored by all of the books I currently own, I decided to re-read it. At present I am only about halfway through the novel, and I must admit I am not as impressed this time around. Dystopian burnout? Maybe. For me, the most interesting aspects of the novel occur at the very beginning, when the author describes a new way of propagating the population. I'm still holding out for something interesting to happen in the second half of the book. Or maybe I should just buck up and finish The Road.
Labels: Books


2 Comments:
ahh, much better, two posts in a week..if you were to recommend one of you selections, because that's probably all I will be able to take off this list of heavy-hitters, which would it be?
I haven't read The Handmaid's Tale, bu I read The Robber Bride, also by Margaret Atwood last spring. Not as much political commentary, but an engrossing story, one of those hard to put down and make myself eat dinner kind of books.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home